June 02, 2010

City Summers and Camping Nightmares




The city is my natural playground. Granola-I dig it, although the last time I snacked on a bowl, (while sitting at my computer, no doubt) it slowly pained its way, feeling like a razor cutting down my throat, and after 2 or 3 days of gnawing agony ended me in the hospital.

I have always been best dwelling deep in the main hub, not quite sure why, where the sounds of pavement, motors, clunking, clicking and ticking, and the shuffle of people are distinguishable to my supersonic ears and eerie mysteries are not unnerving my urban dreams.

Please! I've done the whole wilderness bit, survival training in Alaska, hitchhiking in Europe and tromping through Northern Africa without a male guide. I'll tell you though, I don't like bugs and they're bigger in size & #'s the further out you go. I don't enjoy hot-dogs or canned beans, your typical camping food. I like my feather bed. I love my stilettos. The pump- occasionally, but a hot heel brings the look together.

I am packing for my son's first camping excursion from home and not going as a chaperone. His expressed wish
for me to be there
is not for comfort's sake but
to avoid carrying belongings on the hike to the cabin.☜
Maybe I should take him in the future, to some rough-trail destination, to work this lazy perspective out of his demeanor. Do I have the ability to survive out there in no-man's land? Of course I do. I grew up in Anchorage in the only 'colored' family in the neighborhood. My mother wore custom-tailored ostrich skin, Hermes suits (her wardrobe was about as near to owning pets as she would have). Are you kidding? In the largest State of the Union, moose in our back yard and more red-necks than a trucker convention, you'd better believe I'm from the wild. Do I want to have to show my child that it IS possible to survive for a long time, in extreme circumstances (with the barest of gear as I was taught to do), without GPS or cellular back up? Not really.

Once again, another moment in parenting glory where I can sit back and thank the good people at Pathfinder for taking the spoiled out of privilege, teaching lessons I'm glad not to have to.